Nature Camp Lead Instructor
Mountain Village Summer Nature Camp is a small, high-quality day camp for children ages 6-12. Through exploration and play in Nature, the camp promotes nature awareness and connection, and first-hand knowledge of the natural world. Campers respond to a supportive, community atmosphere by forming close, caring friendships. Feeling connected to the natural world and to their group, campers become more confident and empowered.
The Lead Instructor has the primary responsibility for developing a respectful and encouraging environment for groups of 7-12 campers. They also plan and lead all camp activities, including primitive skills, nature awareness and sensitivity, natural history instruction and adventure explorations.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
- Lead a group of 6-12 campers at a time, on the MVCS campus and adjacent property.
- Develop, promote and maintain a fun, supportive, caring and growth-oriented camp environment.
- Plan and implement daily sensory awareness and nature exploration activities, focusing on animals, plants, minerals and soils, weather and climate, and other elements of the natural world.
- Plan and implement daily “adventure” activities, including short hikes (up to 4 miles long), tree climbing and creek wading.
- Plan and implement regular creative arts activities, including nature-based sculpture, musical instruments
- Oversee the health, safety, and well-being of all campers, including on-site risk management and first aid.
- Collaborate with Assistant Instructor, Leader in Training, Camp Coordinator and other MVCS staff to achieve all desired camp outcomes.
- Complete any required paperwork including daily program report, medication administration and incident/accident report forms.
- Manage required program and equipment logistics.
- Arrive at camp at least 30 minutes prior to expected arrival of first camper.
- Must be 21 years or older.
- Must be First Aid/CPR Certified (Wilderness First Responder preferred).
- Must be willing to submit to a criminal background check.
- Degree or coursework in education or another relevant field.
- Demonstrated foundation of knowledge in natural history/ecology/outdoor biology or other related field.
- 2-3 years of experience teaching nature awareness, primitive skills, natural history, environmental education or other related field.
To apply email a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com