POSITION: Nature-Based, Montessori Substitute Teacher
REPORTS TO: Head of School
Location: Plymouth, NH
The Mountain Village Charter School is a public, tuition-free, elementary charter school. Our mission is to nourish an educational community engaging the child through a nature-based, Montessori approach. The curriculum inspires abstract thinking by exploring creative thought and critical reasoning. The approach places equal emphasis on rigorous academics, artistic expression, social development and community service.
The Substitute Teacher will have the following qualifications:
Education and/or Experience
- Associate’s Degree or Bachelor’s degree
- At least two years of experience working with 1st – 4th grade students.
- Able to build immediate and loving rapport with children of all ages; strong understanding of child development and adolescent development
- Passion for teaching and working with students from a variety of communities, with specific knowledge and understanding of the needs of students from different experiences, languages and backgrounds
- Sense of humor, high ethical professional standards, equity perspective
- Able to work in a creative and demanding learning environment, including the ability to problem-solve and manage ambiguity and adversity
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Able to pass state and federal background checks
- Able to obtain First Aid/CPR Certification
- Clear TB and criminal background check upon hire
- Some experience working in a nature-based and/or Montessori classroom or some Montessori and/or training preferred
- Experience working with 6-9 year old and/or 9-12 year old students in a rural setting
- As the substitute teacher, you will be supporting a multi-age Montessori classroom of children in a lower elementary class. You will be responsible for maintaining a safe and caring learning environment and supporting the implementation of the Montessori core program in partnership with one other teacher.
- Supports the establishment of a safe and caring learning environment that is organized and engaging
- Partners effectively with one other teacher to ensure students are learning and achieving at high levels.
- Helps maintain a powerful classroom culture where children have high expectations for themselves and for others, are self-motivated and self-directed, have pride in and care about themselves and their community, and where children value and love learning
- Demonstrates knowledge of and support for Mountain Village’s mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
All interested applicants should go to our Indeed page and submit a:
- Cover letter of no more than one page that specifically addresses candidate’s qualifications and qualities as described above
- Curriculum vita/resume
- Contact information for three references
Job Type: Temporary
Salary: hourly, commensurate with experience
- Elementary Teaching: 2 years