Mountain Village Charter School Head of School
Founded in 2012, Mountain Village is a public Nature-based, Montessori school, engaging students in experiences that integrate natural environments with the Montessori curriculum, igniting achievement in academic, social-emotional and physical development. Currently serving 55 1st-4th grade students, Mountain Village will grow over the next 4 years to serve about 150 1st-8th graders.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Head of School (HoS) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for Mountain Village’s staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. S/he will initially develop deep knowledge of core programs, operations, and business plans in addition to successful, measurable fundraising.
Leadership & Management:
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals
- Actively engage and energize Mountain Village volunteers, board members, event committees, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors: serve as ex-officio member of each committee, seek and build board involvement
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain Mountain Village’s staff and faculty. Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents
- Work with the Education Director to ensure student outcome objectives are defined, measured and reached in all aspects of the school’s curriculum
Fundraising & Communications:
- Significantly expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and expansion while simultaneously retiring building debt
- Create an Annual Development goal, strategy, and objectives.
- Work collaboratively with the Chairman of the Development Committee and the Parent Board to execute a successful Annual Campaign.
- Provide Support to the Annual Fund and any other fundraising initiatives.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand while enhancing the school’s visibility and reputation to maintain enrollment of qualified students.
- Develop a brand or image that emphasizes rigorous academics and student achievement, experiential engagement with the natural world, and empowerment of student learning through Montessori method.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities
- Develop and maintain relationships with abutting property owners and others in the near-school community whose support can benefit the school’s long-term operability.
Planning & New Business:
- Design the national brand and complete the strategic business planning process for capitalizing on being the nation’s first public, nature-based, Montessori school.
- Begin to build partnerships in each of our sending districts, the state and beyond, establishing relationships with the funders, and political and community leaders
- Be an external local and national presence that publishes and communicates program results with an emphasis on the successes of the local program as a model for regional and national replication
- Oversee the building phase of campus development including securing funding, loan management, coordinating with contractors, and ensuring academic excellence is not infringed during construction.
- As opportunities present, develop initiatives that extend the school’s mission beyond the school year and the primary student body (e.g., weekend programs, vacation programs, high-school-aged programs, adult programs), and may also offer potential for revenue generation.
The HoS will be thoroughly committed to Mountain Village’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other desirable qualities include:
- Advanced degree, ideally an MBA or MEd, with at least 5 years of leadership experience; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
- Experience leading educational organizations
- A solid understanding of NH special education and section 504 laws; Montessori philosophy and practice; and nature-based principles with implementation ideas for all three.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed with a great sense of humor.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and is based on qualifications and experience. Medical insurance (or a comparable stipend) and support for professional development make up the benefit package.Extensive, professional development opportunities. Tuition reimbursement for eligible employees seeking Montessori Certifications.
To Apply Please Submit the following to Katy@MountainVillageCharterSchool.org
- Cover letter describing your interest in the position with overview of your background and experience with children and education
- Name, phone and email for three references will only be needed if you are selected for an interview
- Electronic file names must be in the following format: FirstName_LastName_CoverLetter YearFirstName_LastName_Resume Year